Our client, one of the world’s leading insurers and asset managers with a broad range of personal and corporate insurance services, ranging from property, life, and health insurance, assistance services to credit insurance and global business insurance is seeking to appoint a Head, Underwriter and Reinsurance
Location: Lagos, Nigeria.
Type: Full Time.
Job Title: Head, Underwriter and Reinsurance
Experience: 7-10 years
The Head of Underwriting manages the Underwriting department activities. The ideal candidate will be responsible for delivery of technical assessment for proposed deals to different Business Units regarding internal and external clients as well as develop and implement efficient and compliant workflow processes.
- Define underwriting strategy and recommend business plans that will generate continued profitable business growth in current and future markets.
- Oversee and manage all underwriting
- Translate the strategic goals into objectives, and plan for financial and human resources to achieve them.
- Ensure effective leadership & management of underwriting people: pursuing active talent management, driving capability development and creating a high performance culture.
- Set framework for underwriting decisions e.g. Authority grants, referrals, technical reviews.
- Provide assurance that the business adheres to underwriting governance/compliance principles and regulatory standards.
- Oversee design & implementation of rating tools & methodology.
- Analyse, evaluate and make underwriting decisions in line with underwriting guidelines and recommendations, coordinating with analysts and other underwriting staff.
- Review and analyze new insurance applications for risk exposure and compliance with underwriting guidelines.
- Meet and negotiate with clients and brokers to build relationships and to develop new and renewal business.
- Review contract wordings and act as signatory of insurance contracts and ensure alignment to UW guidelines.
- As the accountable party, work with legal and compliance on policy wordings, marketing collaterals and other regulatory and compliance issues as and when required.
- Establish appropriate internal underwriting procedures and criteria to control risk.
- Delegate Authority and provide underwriting direction to all Underwriters
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or any related course.
- Minimum of 7 year experience in similar role
- CIIN certification.
- Must be able to develop long-term strategic underwriting goals, cycle management strategy & underwriting policy, and provide underwriting “leadership to the market.
- Must be able to drive proposition management and development within the Underwriting function.
- Must be able to manage the reinsurance market cycle
- Must be able to overcome LoB/unit thinking and build holistic / total balance sheet mindset to drive improved reinsurance decision making
- Develop understanding of new concepts (capital markets)
- Analyse, evaluate and make underwriting decisions in line with underwriting guidelines and recommendations, coordinating with analysts and other underwriting staff
- Establish appropriate internal underwriting procedures and criteria to control risk
Interested candidates should send their CV’s to: email@example.com using the Job Title Head, Underwriter and Reinsurance as the subject of your application